Credit: David Crockett/Getty Images
Talk about getting blind drunk. New Zealander Denis Duthie happily chugged vodka at his parents' 50th wedding anniversary party, but a reaction with his diabetes medication caused him to lose his vision, according to the New Zealand Herald.
The next day Duthie still couldn't see anything, so he went to the hospital. (Most of us would probably hit the E.R. immediately after our eyes stopped working, but to each his own.)
"I know the doctor told my wife to say goodbye because they didn't think I'd be coming out again," Duthie recounted.
The medical staff diagnosed his problem as poisoning from methanol, but they lacked the ethanol necessary to neutralize it. So Duthie received an unorthodox prescription: a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label from a nearby liquor store, dripped into his body through a tube. He woke up five days later with his eyesight intact, thanks to the premium scotch.
"It was good whisky, yeah," Duthie said. "I thought it was pretty bloody good--I'm alive. The hospital was absolutely awesome."
Let's hope he remembered to tip his doctor a buck per shot. That's Guy Code.