Credit: AMC-Raymond Boyd/Michael Ochs Archives
"Mad Men" finally returns on Sunday with a 2-hour season premier, so we thought we'd test your knowledge of the show's iconic womanizer/idea man/swimmer Don Draper. We've paired the dapper ad guru with rap legend Tupac Shakur--because, why not--to see if you can identify quotes from the two ballers. Trust us, it's a lot harder than it sounds.
Draper may be the prototypical '60s white man, but he has a surprising amount in common with 2Pac, the not-so-prototypical '90s hip-hop star. For instance, both men came from a hardscrabble background, and they're supremely confident, relentlessly driven enigmas. And they are obsessed with death and resurrection. Sure, one of them isn't real, but humor us.
Below we've compiled 18 quotes from the two. See if you can guess who said each one. Answers are at the bottom.
1. "Listen, I'm not here to tell you about Jesus. You already know about Jesus. He either lives in your heart or he doesn't."
2. "There's nobody in the business strong enough to scare me."
3. "You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts. But I never forget. I'm living like there's no tomorrow, because there isn't one."
4. "You want some respect? Go out there and get it for yourself."
5. "People look to me to do things for them, to have answers."
6. "I'm enjoying the story so far, but I have a feeling it's not going to end well."
7. " Turn adversity into ambition."
8. "Reality is wrong, dreams are for real."
9. "Every day I tried not to think about what would happen if this happened."
10. "In California...everything is new, and it's clean. The people are filled with hope. New York City is in decay."
11. "I know how to bow down to authority if it's authority that I respect."
12. "We're flawed, because we want so much more. We're ruined, because we get these things, and wish for what we had."
13. "I exist in the depths of solitude."
14. "They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
15. "It's your life. You don't know how long it's gonna last, but you know it doesn't end well."
16. "It seems like every time you come up something happens to bring you back down."
17. "If you don't like what's being said, change the conversation."
18. "Revenge is like the sweetest joy, next to getting p***y."
Don's Quotes: 1, 3, 4, 6, 9, 10, 12, 14, 15, 17. 2Pac: 2, 5, 7, 8, 11, 13, 16, 18