Credit: Tim Boyle/Getty Images
Sad news, Twinkie fans: Due to declining sales, the Hostess Company, which makes the glorious Twinkie, has re-filed for Chapter Eleven bankruptcy protection. The Twinkie is expected to survive, though. The Hostess president is confident that the company will emerge from bankruptcy stronger as it has done before.
In honor and appreciation of the Twinkie, a most delicious treat that has brought smiles and comfort to the bellies of millions, here's some Twinkie trivia. Answers follow at the bottom.
1. Which punk band recorded a song in 1994 titled "Too Many Twinkies"?
2. The original Twinkie, as designed by baker/inventor James Alexander Dewar in 1930, was made with what filling:
A. Strawberry cream
B. Chocolate cream
D. Banana cream
3. The "Twinkie Defense" refers to:
A. Author Bradley S. Scully's 1991 essay in which he argues that it's not junk food but laziness and lack of moderation that causes obesity.
B. A criminal defendant's claim that some unusual factor diminished his/her responsibility for an alleged crime.
C. Green Bay Packers defensive line during its 1997 Super Bowl run that included 350 lb defensive lineman Gilbert Brown.
4. Which university conducted the T.W.I.N.K.I.E.S. (Tests With Inorganic Noxious Kakes In Extreme Situations) project in 1995, designed to determine the properties of the incredible Twinkie?
5. The Twinkie had a visible role in what two major movies with Bill Murray?
A. "What About Bob?"
F. "Groundhog Day"
6. How long do Twinkies last on a store shelf?
A. 1-2 days
B. 3-5 days
D. 7-10 days
E. Two weeks
7. Which U.S. president put a Twinkie in a time capsule?
A. Jimmy Carter
B. Ronald Reagan
C. Bill Clinton
D. George W. Bush
8. Hostess Brands Inc. is based out of which U.S. city?
1. Kansas City, MO
2. Columbus, OH
3. Milwaukee, WI
4. Buffalo, NY
9. A nutrition professor at Kansas State University went on a two-month "Twinkie Diet" in 2010, in which he reduced his daily calorie intake from 2600 to 1800 per day but subsisted on Duncan Hines brownies, Hostess Twinkies, Cool Ranch Doritos chips, Little Debbie cakes and Kellogg's corn pops. He claims to have lost how many pounds?
10. Which of the following is not a Twinkie ingredient:
B. Cellulose gum
D. Whole eggs