Earlier this month, Mel Gibson returned to the silver screen in the quizzically named box office bomb "The Beaver." It was a weird misstep for the embattled actor, who we think would've been better off rolling out a "Lethal Weapon" installment that reminds us of our love for the incorrigible Riggs.
No, instead he's in a movie with his hand up a beaver the whole time. Maybe Mel has a way more sophisticated sense of humor than us and is in on some next-level joke as it pertains to that premise. But bra, we're having trouble seeing past the low-hanging fruit. Of course, what kid hasn't chuckled at the word "beaver" at one point or another for its euphemistic joy? Which got us thinking...
With an open mind and the right amount of elbow grease, almost every kid's show on TV has a character whose name would work well as a synonym for the uh, same thing "beaver" is a synonym for. We found at least 33. Read them all--and join in on a little instant nostalgia--after the jump.
1) Babyface Beagle--Babyface Beagle loved to get his thievery on in the animated series "Duck Tales."
2) Bamm Bamm--Bamm Bamm is the freakishly strong adopted son of Barney Rubble on "The Flintstones."
3) Belle--The character Belle in Disney's "Beauty and The Beast" is a hot cartoon chick who falls in love with a big hairy prince.
4) Deputy Fuzz--This fuzzy alien creature from the tripped out "BraveStarr" '80s resembled a prairie dog.
5) Gadget Hackwrench--This member of "Chip n Dales Rescue Rangers" was always there for her friends.
6) Gibber--Gibber is a pirate who whispers advice to the main protagonist, Don Karnage, in the classic cartoon "TaleSpin."
7) Go Go Dodo--The full name of this dodo from "Tiny Toon Adventures" is Gogo Wackston the Dodo.
8) Gromble --The Gromble is the main antagonist and headmaster of the monster academy in Nickelodeon's "Aaahh!!! Real Monsters." He's a four-legged creature who has a soul patch and wears high heels.
9) Honker Muddlefoot--Honker is the neighbor and best friend of the main character's crime-fighting adopted 9-year-old daughter in "Darkwing Duck."
10) Jabberjaw--He's a shark from the series of the same name and is an exceptional drummer.
11) Little Miss Chatterbox--This female character from the "Mr. Men" series loves to talk.
12) Master Blaster--This character from "Kidd Video" was the main villain of the series.
13) Miss Piggy--She is a Muppet who knows what (and who) she wants.
14) Miss Yvonne--Miss Yvonne was a character on "Pee Wee's Playhouse" who was very flirtatious with the other characters.
15) Moosel--Half-moose, half-seal from the '80s kids' show "The Wuzzles."
16) Mushmouth--Mushmouth was a bumbling simpleton character with a mean speech impediment on Bill Cosby's "Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids."
17) Nermal--Nermal was an innocent and sweet-natured cat from the world of "Garfield."
18) Patti Mayonnaise--Patti Mayonnaise was aloofly crushed on by the title character in Nickelodeon's "Doug."
19) Pidge--Pidge was a character on "Voltron: Defender of the Universe." He is the youngest member of the Voltron team and pilots the Green Lion.
20) Pretty Bit--Pretty Bit was a character from "The Popples." They were creatures with pouches that they could use to store and transport things.
21) Punky Brewster--She was short and sassy, just like a name like that suggests.
22) Smurfette --The only woman in the mushroom house village of "The Smurfs."
23) Snarf--The bumbling furry sidekick of the "Thundercats."
24) Snuffleupagus --Snuffleupagus was a wooly mammoth and friend of Big Bird's on "Sesame Street."
25) Strawberry Shortcake--Star of a show centered around having weird adventures in a place with no regard for diabetes.
26) The Chuckle Patch--The group of giggly flowers from the TV series "The Magic Garden." Speaking of...
27) The Magic Garden--The magical garden is a wonderful place filled with magic and was the setting of the show of the same name. The show aired from 1972 to 1984.
28) The Shroink--An elderly monster who dwells in the world of "Aaahh!!! Real Monsters."
29) The Snorch--Also from the Nickelodeon's "Aaahh!! Real Monsters," this freakshow kept order and dealt out punishment.
30) Tickled Pink--This "Rainbow Bright" character was in charge of the color pink, natch.
31) Tooter--Tooter Shellby was a character on "The Snorks." He communicated by "tooting."
32) Witchiepoo--She was a wicked witch character on the tripped out '70s kids' live-action series "H.R. Pufnstuf."
33) Wuz Wuz The Squishy Bear--Wuz Wuz The Squishy Bear and the other Squishy Bears were a lampooned take on "The Care Bears" in the cartoon "Eek! The Cat."